Here comes the practical tip of the year. With the weather breaking (get outside..nets are up!) and tournament season well under way, it's time to be like a Boy Scout and be prepared!
Most players have a fairly big bag and despite it being an essential accessory item it becomes more useful on the court when you pack it well. Some items to include are:
- Extra racquet (this is obvious, but I still see plenty of players that don't have an extra racquet)
- An extra pair of shoes (you never know when you will have a blowout)
- Extra shoe laces (they do break)
- Water/water bottle (hydrate people!)
- Sunscreen (essential)
- Granola bar/power bar (no good bonking in the middle of a match)
- Extra grips (slippery, grimy grips..yuk)
- Set of strings that you use (especially if you are playing a tournament out of town)
- Your favorite tunes or a book that helps you chill out (something else?...you choose)
- Your tennis notebook (that one you should be using to write down tips on how to improve your strokes, shot-making, strategy, etc. after a great lesson)
- Your notes on what you should focus on (make it simple)
- A hat/visor/sunglasses (sun-serving can be brutal)
Some of the items will be very useful, with some of them being more like "comfort food" so that you can play your best "comfortable" tennis.
Until next time, "Be Prepared" Cats!